Driving in the EU

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020. Talks with the EU are continuing to be held to agree any arrangements that will need to be in place by the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020.

Currently, the two most likely Brexit scenarios are:

EU agrees to exempt UK residents from requiring a Green Card

The European Commission makes the decision to exempt the UK from requiring a Green Card to drive in the EU and EEA. This means we will not be issuing Green Cards to customers as your Certificate of Insurance will provide the required proof of insurance.

UK residents require a Green Card to Drive in EU / EEA

You will need to carry a Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law and may not be allowed to drive in the country they are visiting. Vehicles towing a trailer or caravan will also need a separate Green Card for the trailer or caravan. Please get in touch with us as outlined below should you need a Green Card.

  • If you are travelling before 31 December 2020 and returning to the UK after 1 January 2021 - please contact us and we will arrange for a Green Card to be sent to you in case it may be required
  • If you are travelling after 1 January 2021 - please contact us 21 days before you are travelling and we will arrange for one to be sent to you if required.

Please keep an eye on this page and the following websites for further updates around any changes to Green Card requirements.