This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Business use car insurance

Driving your car for work – how it affects your insurance
Driving to and from work isn’t the same as driving for work. Even if your boss just asks you to drive your car to another site during working hours, or to transport some equipment in your boot, your car insurance won’t cover you, unless you have Business Use included.

So here’s a quick rundown of some of the things you may need to know about using your car for work.

Why is driving for work treated differently?
Some of the reasons insurers treat it differently are because people who drive for work might:

  • carry extra equipment
  • drive on unfamiliar roads
  • use the car on a more regular basis.

This isn’t true of everyone who drives for work– but we do have to consider these things, otherwise we’d be overcharging the majority of our customers because we’re undercharging the minority.

That means your premiums are likely to be higher if you add Business Use to your policy. Sometimes employers will cover your costs for fuel, insurance and also general wear and tear on your car. If you’re not sure, check with your employer.

Is business use insurance right for you?
If you’re driving your own car for work purposes, you’ll need Business Use Insurance.

Our Business Use Insurance covers most jobs, from childminders to estate agents, and anyone who uses their car to drive between places for an employer.

If you're using your car as part of your job such as travelling between offices, attending meetings away from your usual place of work or making sales, you'll be covered. This cover also includes any named drivers.

Does business use insurance cover all professions?
We are unable to offer Business Use for some professions. Please give us a call on 03457 46 46 46^ if you need to talk about any specific circumstances that might affect your policy. We’re open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm on Saturdays and 9am and 4pm on Sundays - right here in the UK.

It’s also worth giving us a call to make sure this doesn’t change your insurance needs. It’s the same number as above: 03457 46 46 46^.

If you drive a company car
Your employer should insure it. Most company car insurance will cover you for both business and personal use, but you should always check before you get behind the wheel.

If you’re a business owner insuring company cars
We are an introducer for Miles Smith who provide Business Insurance, including Motor Fleet Insurance.

For a quote, call 0800 158 4034^.  Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.

^Call charges

Exclusions and limitations apply, please refer to policy documents for full details.

Co-op Car Insurance is normally available to customers aged 17 to 75 years only.

Calls may be monitored or recorded for security and training purposes. First notification of a claim outside of normal working hours will be answered in Eire.

Applicants for insurance are subject to normal underwriting criteria.

Miles Smith is a trading name of Miles Smith Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under register number 311273. Registered office: 22 Melton Street, London NW1 2BW. Registered in England, number 951095.