Breakdown cover FAQs

What countries are covered by the breakdown cover?

UK-only cover includes Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

European breakdown cover, in addition to UK-only cover, also includes:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Vatican City

Your cover also extends to other islands that belong to these countries that count as being part of Europe.

Does the breakdown policy cover the car, or the driver?

If you bought your breakdown cover as an optional extra to your car insurance, Ecoinsurance or young driver insurance policy, the car is covered provided it's being driven by any driver named on the policy.

If you bought our standalone breakdown cover or short-trip breakdown cover, please check your policy, as it is possible to cover either the car or the driver.

What details do I need to provide when I contact you?

We'll ask you for your full address and either your registration number or your policy number.

I have broken down and would like to claim

If you bought your breakdown cover with a Co-op Car Insurance policy please use our online recovery tool or call 0800 092 9069^ from the UK, or 0044 1737 815016^ from outside the UK.

If you have our standalone breakdown cover, please call 0330 123 1140^ from the UK, or 0044 1737 815867^ from outside the UK.

If you have our Young Driver insurance call 0800 316 7816^.

If you have our Ecoinsurance call 0333 202 1829^.

^Call charges

Can I have cover on more than one vehicle?

Our personal, joint and family policies are ideal if you wish to be covered for multiple vehicles, and are available via standalone breakdown cover.

You can also call the sales centre on 0800 028 2368^ if you wish to discuss the best product for you with an advisor.

^Call charges

Can I make a breakdown claim straight away?

f you bought your breakdown cover with your Co-op Insurance car insurance policy, you may claim on the breakdown cover at any time while the insurance policy is active.

If you have our standalone annual or short-trip breakdown cover, the cover will be limited to roadside assistance and local recovery only for the first 24 hours. Full policy benefits will be available 24 hours after the purchase has been made.

Where am I covered with my breakdown cover?

If you bought your breakdown cover with a Co-op Car Insurance policy, you are covered for the UK and the European Union as standard. 

If you bought our standalone breakdown cover or short trip cover, please refer to your policy document. Full UK and European is available; if you want to upgrade your cover please get in touch on 0800 028 2368^; here's a list of all the countries covered.

Customers with our Ecoinsurance or Young Driver Insurance are covered in the UK only.

^Call charges

Is breakdown cover included with my car insurance?

Breakdown cover is available as an optional extra with:

You can add the optional extra when you get your price. You’ll be able to see how much it will add to your premium.

Co-op Car Insurance and Ecoinsurance customers can also add breakdown cover at any time by calling 03457 46 46 46^ (Co-op Car Insurance) or 0344 412 2101^ (Ecoinsurance).

You can also buy standalone breakdown cover on a flexible annual or short-trip basis.

^Call charges

When does cover begin?

You’ll be covered as soon as you want your policy to start.

We’ll be able to give you an instant decision on whether or not we can offer you insurance.