Do I need a Green Card?

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 with a withdrawal agreement in place. As part of the withdrawal agreement, there’s a transitional period until 31 December 2020. This means you don’t need a Green Card to travel in the EU and associated countries.

You will still need a green card to travel in any countries outside the EU listed in your policy documents.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that:

  • the EU and other associated countries recognise
  • allows you to drive across international borders
  • enables victims of accidents involving foreign-registered vehicles to make compensation claims.

Where do I need to use it?

You’ll need it for any countries outside the EU listed in your policy documents.

From 1 July onwards, green cards do not need to be printed on green paper. They can be printed in black and white, on plain white paper. This means that you can print out your own copy at home to prepare for your trip.

If you have a car insurance or young driver policy, we can email you a PDF document to print at home. You must print the document and carry a hard copy on your travels. The green card will not be accepted as an electronic copy.

Alternatively, you can ask us to send you a green card through the post.

If you have an ecoinsurance policy, where your policy reference begins with BQD, we will send your card in the post. You will not be able to get your green card via email.

Call us two weeks (three weeks for ecoinsurance) before your trip to get one via email or post:

  • Car insurance: 03457 464 646^
  • Young driver insurance: 0333 009 6702^
  • Ecoinsurance: 0344 412 2101^

Where can I find out more about Green Cards?

Visit the Association of British Insurers’ website.

^Call charges