Car insurance FAQs

How do I log in to the self-service centre?


Log in to the self-service centre to let us know about a change.

You can also:

  • view and download your policy documents
  • make a payment
  • change a payment.

Young driver

If you have our young driver insurance, visit the driving dashboard page to:

  • check your driving scores
  • view your policy documents.

If you want to make a change to your policy, please call 0333 0050 235^.

Co-op Car Insurance

If you bought your Co-op Car Insurance through the Co-op Insurance website, or over the phone, you can make changes to your policy by calling 03457 46 46 46^.

^Call charges

Can I cancel my car insurance policy?

You can cancel your car insurance, and any optional extras, up to 14 days after you’ve received your policy documents from us.

We’ll refund the premium for the time on cover you have not used.

You'll need to get in touch within 14 days to do this.

Cancelling after 14 days

We’ll refund the premium for the time on cover you have not used. There's a cancellation fee of £50 that applies in your first year only.

Get in touch

  • call us on 03457 46 46 46^
  • write to us at Co-op Insurance, PO Box 67, Mitcheldean, GL17 0ZA.

^Call charges

Can I tax my car without my car insurance certificate?

Yes, you can tax your car online or over the phone without a physical copy of your car insurance certificate.

You need to know that:

  • you must be insured when you tax your car
  • the DVLA will be able to check you have insurance in place

Find out more about Co-op Car Insurance.

What do I do if my windscreen is damaged?

Windscreen claims are handled by Auto Windscreens, who have an automated claims process on their website.

Windscreen cover includes each window on the vehicle including the sunroof, although glass roof panels are only covered as part of the vehicle, and not as part of a windscreen claim.

The excess is £75 for a replacement, and £15 excess for windscreen repairs.

It will count as a claim, but won’t affect your no claim discount.

If the work is done by Auto Windscreens, we’ll pay the full cost of repair or replacement (less the excess) up to a maximum of the car’s market value.

If you choose to use another windscreen specialist, the same excesses apply, and there’s an upper limit of £150 for the claim.

How do I renew my Co-op Car Insurance?

We’ll send you a renewal invitation at least three weeks before your renewal date.

Paid monthly?

Your policy will be renewed automatically.

If any details have changed please call us on 0345 600 2918^.

If we’re unable to take the first direct debit payment we’ll cancel your policy on your renewal date.

Paid annually?

Please get in touch on 0345 600 2918^ at least 7 days before the renewal date to renew with a debit or credit card (or to switch to monthly direct debit).

Got Ecoinsurance?

Your policy will renew automatically unless you’ve told us you do not want it to (check your policy details).

Do not worry, we’ll contact you by text and email to remind you of your renewal date, in case you want to cancel.

^Call charges

Can I add another car to my policy?

We don’t currently offer multi-car insurance, but you can insure an extra car on your policy for a short time.

For example, you may have a new car but haven’t sold your old car yet.

Get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^ to add a temporary car to your policy.

Terms and conditions apply, and there is a £15 fee for making the change in addition to any increase to your premium.

^Call charges

Can I drive other cars?

You’re allowed to drive other cars if this feature is shown on your motor insurance certificate.

Where will I find this?

If you look at your insurance certificate, you’ll find this information under heading 5: Persons or classes of persons entitled to drive.

If you’re still not sure, please call us on 03457 46 46 46^, or use our live chat service, before you drive the other car.

If you have this cover, you will not be covered for loss of or damage to the car you’re driving.

Insurance to drive the car is not available if:

  • you don't have permission from the owner
  • the car belongs to you, is registered to you, or is hired or leased to you under a rental, leasing or hire purchase agreement
  • there's another insurance policy that covers you to drive the car
  • the car does not have a current and valid insurance certificate, in accordance with the Road Traffic Acts
  • the car has been seized by, or on behalf of, the government or public authority
  • the car is registered or driven outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

^Call charges

What happens if I miss a monthly car insurance payment?

If your bank rejects your monthly direct debit payment, we'll write to you to let you know.

You’ll need to pay to avoid your insurance getting cancelled. Call us on 03457 46 46 46^ to pay by credit or debit card.

There’s a £12.50 fee for missing a direct debit payment.

How we may be able to help

If you’ve had your policy for over a year, we can change the day in the month the direct debit is taken, to coincide with a payment of wages, pension, or benefits.

Call us on 03457 46 46 46^ to arrange this.

If you’re still in your first year with us, you can change the day in the month that payment is taken when you renew.

Help and advice

The Citizens’ Advice website has information and advice that you may find useful if you have money worries.

^Call charges

How can I get a statement of no claims?

If you’ve received your renewal invitation, the statement of no claims will be included in the pack.

If you decide not to renew your policy with us, you'll need to send this document to your new insurer.

If you’re cancelling your policy mid-term, or have lost your renewal pack, please call us on 03457 46 46 46^ to get one.

^Call charges

Can I dispute the amount of damage claimed by the other driver?

Whilst you may disagree with the amount your claim has cost, there are some things to consider.

Cars are expensive to repair

Even something as minor as a headlamp replacement can cost over £1000.

Not all crash damage is visible

The design of modern cars means that they will absorb the energy of the crash to protect the occupants.

This means that internal parts of the car’s bumpers may get damaged. This often is not visible until the mechanic removes the bumper.

We keep an eye on the cost

Our claims team assess all damage using software that helps us to check that the costs claimed are fair.

As a business, it makes no sense for us to pay for damage not related to the claim. You can be sure that we will not let the value of the claim get inflated by the garage or the other driver.

^Call charges

What should I do if I don't think the accident is my fault?

If you don't believe that the accident was your fault we’ll get in touch to:

  • discuss your claim
  • let you know how we came to our decision.

It may be worth reviewing what the highway code says at this point.

How we come to our decision

We take into account the outcome on liability where similar cases have gone to Court.

These decisions are often referred to as case law.

We may also have no choice to admit liability where we cannot prove your version of how the accident happened.

The other party may have provided evidence too. This might include:

  • repair estimates
  • engineering reports
  • CCTV or dashcam footage.

These may be difficult to dispute.

Dispute the decision

Get in touch on 0345 999 8888^. We may ask you to provide evidence such as:

  • a detailed statement
  • a diagram of the incident
  • details of any independent witnesses.

Supplying evidence

Try to include:

  • all registration numbers
  • road names and markings
  • the time and place of the incident
  • the weather conditions.

The specific location is also very important.

If you have photo or video evidence, let us know. We'll tell you how to get it to us.

Lines are open 8.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri.

^Call charges

Do you insure cars fitted with alloy wheels?

Yes, but only if fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

Do I need to tell you about a medical condition or disability?

You must tell DVLA about a health or medical condition that could affect your driving.

You must then let us know what DVLA decide. Call us on 03457 46 46 46^.

^Call charges

Can I insure a taxi or minibus?

We don't currently offer insurance for taxis and minibuses.

Why can't your website find my house or flat number?

Check your postcode is right using the postcode checker.

If you cannot see your address please get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^.

Sometimes newly-built houses take a while to appear on the system.

^Call charges

Do I have to pay an excess for repairs to the other driver's car?

No, you only pay an excess if you're claiming for damage to your own car.

Do you insure imported cars?

No, we don't insure cars that have been imported into the UK.

This does not include cars made abroad and imported by the manufacturer for the UK market.

What happens if the other driver gets in touch?

Do not discuss the claim at all. Give them your claim reference number and tell them to get in touch on 0345 999 8888^.

If you get any correspondance from the other driver, or their insurer, do not respond. Send it to us.

  • email it to [email protected]
  • send it to Co-op Insurance, PO Box 67, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, GL17 0ZA.

Make sure you include your claim reference number.

^Call charges

Do I need to let you know if I've changed my name?

Yes, you must let us know if you have changed your name. You'll need to provide us with:

  • your policy number
  • your old name
  • your new name
  • documents proving the change of name e.g. a marriage certificate.

Send these to Co-op Insurance, PO Box 67, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, GL17 0ZA

Do you insure classic and older cars?

We won't provide a new quote for any car older than 30 years old.

Is my roof rack insured?

Our car insurance includes your roof bars and roof box.

There’s a limit of £250 for the contents of the roof box.

You must keep your roof box closed and locked when the car’s on the move or left unattended.

Will getting an insurance quote affect my credit rating?

A credit score check for buying insurance will not affect your credit rating or your ability to get credit in any way.

If you decide to pay in monthly instalments, we run an extra credit check to make sure you’re able to afford them. This leaves a footprint on your credit score.

If you do not pay your monthly premiums, it will affect your credit score.

Am I covered for misfuelling?

If you've put the wrong fuel in your car don't start the engine, as it will cause serious damage.

You have a couple of options.

If you have breakdown cover we'll:

  • recover your car to the nearest garage
  • drain the wrong fuel from the tank (you'll need to pay for this).

If you want to make a claim:

  • we'll deal with the removal of fuel
  • we'll deal with any damage to your engine
  • your excess will apply
  • your no claim discount will be affected.

Will you recover my damaged car?

If your car is immobile or unsafe to drive following an accident, call our 24-hour helpline on 0800 092 9069^.

We’ll take your car to a suitable repairer.

Our claims process will then try to get you back on the road as soon as possible.

^Call charges

Can I use a foreign no claim discount on a policy with you?

We don't accept a no claim discount earned outside the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Can my no claim discount be used on more than one car?

No, you can only use your no claim discount on one car.

What is Pass Plus?

Pass Plus is a Government scheme for newly-qualified drivers. It aims to improve their driving skills and build on the skills gained while learning to drive.

You may qualify for an introductory 40% discount off your insurance if:

  • you’ve already qualified as a Pass Plus driver
  • you qualify within 3 months of taking out your policy.

You’ll need to send us your original Pass Plus certificate.

For more information, visit the Pass Plus web site.

Call 03457 46 46 46^ to see if you qualify for this discount.

^Call charges

I'm a childminder am I covered to take children in my car?

Yes, if you have business use included on your Co-op Car Insurance policy.

Do you offer third-party car insurance?

We don’t offer third-party, or third-party, fire and theft car insurance.

We only offer comprehensive car insurance.

You can get a quote for comprehensive cover online or by calling us on 03457 46 46 46^.

^Call charges

Do you insure motorhomes?

We’ll insure motorhomes with an engine size up to 2500cc (2.5l).

This insurance must be arranged over the telephone.

Please call us on 03457 46 46 46^ to get a quote.

^Call charges

What happens when the accident is my fault?

Fixing the other driver’s car

We’ll contact the other driver and their insurers to admit responsibility and offer:

  • to fix the other driver’s car
  • hire a replacement car while theirs is in for repair.

This helps to reduce:

  • the cost of the claim
  • the duration of the claim.

Fixing your car

We'll get you back on the road if your car needs fixing:

  • our approved repairers' garage will fix your car
  • the garage will lend you a courtesy car while yours is being fixed.

Be aware that:

  • your excess is payable
  • your no claim discount may be affected.

What are the age limits for buying car insurance?

You need to be at least 17 years of age to get a car insurance quote.

The oldest age we usually quote for up to is 75 years of age, unless you are an existing Co-op Car Insurance customer.

We may offer a quote for a new customer up to the age of 80 if they have a good driving record and no claim discount.

If we can’t give you a car insurance quote, try the British Insurance Brokers’ Association. They may find a car insurer who’ll give you a quote.

Am I covered when towing a trailer or caravan?

Our car insurance covers hitched trailers and caravans against:

  • causing injury to other people
  • causing damage to other people's property.

We do not cover any damage that's caused to:

  • your trailer
  • the contents of your trailer.

We cover trailers and caravans that are not hitched to the car in certain European countries where it's a legal requirement to do so.

Do you charge for using a credit card to pay for car insurance?

No, there is no charge for using a credit card.

We accept all Mastercard and Visa credit and debit cards online and over the phone.

Do you insure people with provisional licences?

We do insure drivers with provisional licences.

Until they’ve passed their test they’ll need to have someone in the car with them who:

  • is at least 21 years old, and
  • has held a full driving licence for at least 3 years.

Do you insure motorbikes?

Unfortunately, we do not offer quotations for motorbikes at the moment.

What is the standard excess for car insurance?

The standard excess is the amount you pay for any claim for loss of or damage to your car.

The standard excess amount is £150 for customers who bought their policy directly from Co-op Insurance, and for customers who have our Ecoinsurance (usually bought through a price comparison website).

For windscreen and glass the excess is £75 for a replacement and £15 excess for repairs.

Other compulsory excesses may apply depending on your age and experience.

If you’re an existing customer please refer to your policy documents and booklets for details of all excesses which may apply.

Do I need to let you know if I've had surgery and been told not to drive?

No, you don’t need to let us know. You should follow your doctor’s advice about when you're ready to drive again.

Am I covered if my car's been damaged by an uninsured driver?

Yes, your policy includes cover for damage to your car caused by an uninsured driver.

If you’re able to provide us with the other car’s registration number, make and model, and once we’re satisfied the accident wasn’t your fault we’ll:

  • repay your excess
  • restore your no claim discount (NCD).

If you don’t have the other car’s details we’ll still settle the claim but your:

  • excess will apply
  • NCD may be affected if it’s not protected by our protected NCD cover.

To make a claim please contact us on 0345 999 8888^.

^Call charges

Can my spouse use my no claim discount?

Yes in certain cases, please get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^ for further information.

^Call charges

Why have you refused to give me a car quote?

There are many reasons why we may not be able to offer you an insurance quote. These may include your:

  • driving history
  • car
  • age
  • occupation
  • claims history
  • postcode.

Getting car insurance somewhere else

If we cannot offer you a quote, visit the British Insurance Brokers’ Association website. They'll give you details of other insurers that may be able to help.

What is the non-approved repairer excess?

We have a network of Co-op approved repairers. Our claims team will tell you about the nearest Co-op approved repairer following a claim.

If you don't want to have your car repaired by Co-op approved repairer you'll need to pay an excess of £200.

We'll add this excess to any other excesses you may have to pay.

Am I covered if my car keys are stolen?

If your car keys are stolen, we'll arrange replacement locks up to a maximum value of £750

The cover is not available if you leave the keys in or on the car when no-one's in it.

When will I get my car insurance policy documents?

You should receive your documents within 10 days.

If you've not received your documents within 10 days, please call us on 03457 46 46 46^.

^Call charges

What do I do if I get a fixed penalty notice or a driving conviction?

You must call us on 03457 46 46 46^ when you receive a fixed penalty notice or conviction, or if you have any prosecutions pending.

If you’re not sure please call us on 03457 46 46 46^ and one of our advisors will be able to help.

Your insurance may not be valid in the event of a claim if you do not tell us about a penalty notice or conviction.

You don't need to tell us about:

  • driving or speed awareness courses
  • parking tickets
  • tickets for driving in a bus lane.

^Call charges

Am I covered if my car's been damaged when it’s parked?

Don't know who caused the damage?

Your policy includes cover for damage caused by vandalism. It also covers you if you cannot identify the other driver. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to recover the money we pay out, so your:

  • excess will apply
  • no claim discount (NCD) may be affected, if it’s not protected by our protected NCD cover.

Know who caused the damage?

If we can identify the other car or driver who caused the damage (by CCTV in a supermarket car park, for example), we’ll:

  • repay your excess
  • restore your NCD.

To make a claim please contact us on 0345 999 8888^.

^Call charges

How do you value my car if it's been written-off or stolen?

If your car has been:

  • stolen and not recovered
  • written-off (we call this a total loss).

we value your car by finding out how much it was worth before the theft or accident happened.

We start by looking at Glass’s guide.

This guide price is then adjusted to reflect your individual car’s:

  • age
  • mileage
  • fitted optional extras
  • pre-accident condition.

We do not take account of the cost of any servicing or maintenance that the car may have had.

Adverts are not a good starting point for your car’s value. Small differences in mileage and model can make a big difference to the car’s value. We'll be able to tell your car's exact make, model and trim from your registration number.

We may make further deductions if your car has been written off before.

All deductions are:

  • fully documented
  • supported by images from the repairer or salvage agent.

When you make a claim, we’ll discuss your car’s valuation with you to make sure we have all the right details.

Our process is in line with the Financial Ombudsman Service guidelines.

How do I transfer ownership of my car if it's been written-off or stolen?

The law requires you to let the DVLA know if you transfer ownership of your car to our salvage agents if your car is:

  • stolen and not recovered
  • written-off.

You can do this by:

You’ll need to send Section 9 of the V5C registration document to:
DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.

The transfer of ownership details you’ll need are:
Copart UK, Acrey Fields, Woburn Road, Wooton, MK43 9EJ.

When will I receive payment if my car is written-off or stolen?

Once we have agreed on the value of your claim, the money will be in your bank account within 3-5 working days.

Please note, we’ll deduct any:

  • applicable excesses
  • money owed to a finance company.

Once we’ve made these deductions, we’ll pay any money left to you.

If the value of your car does not meet the amount owed to the finance company, you’ll have to pay the rest yourself.

Some car finance comes with gap insurance, which may cover you against having to do that. Check your car’s finance documents to see if this applies to you.

Gap insurance isn’t included with Co-op Car Insurance.

How long will it take to get a refund if I cancel my policy?

You should receive a refund within 21 days.

If you haven't received your refund by then, please get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^.

^Call charges

Can someone else drive my car?

The best way to allow this is to add the person on to your policy.

You can add them either permanently, or temporarily for up to 28 days.

If you don't want to do this then you must check with the other person's insurer.

Even if they are allowed to drive your car, any damage caused to your car won't be covered.

How old do you have to be to set up a direct debit?

You need to be at least 18 to set up a direct debit.

Do you insure learner drivers?

Yes. If you're aged 17 or over and hold a provisional driving licence.

Can named drivers earn no claim discount?

Named drivers on your policy can earn no claim discount if they are over the age of 19.

They can build up to 3 years no claim discount with Co-op Insurance, which can be used if they take out their own Co-op Car Insurance policy.

This no claim discount may not be recognised by other insurers.

Do I get a courtesy car with my policy?

If your car needs to be repaired

Our approved repairer will provide a courtesy car for you to use while your car is being repaired by them as part of a claim. Usually, it will be a 1-litre hatchback with a petrol or diesel engine.

If your car is written-off or stolen

You will not get a courtesy car as standard.

If you have our enhanced courtesy car cover, we'll provide a car similar in engine size, up to 1.8 litres, and type, including electric, to your own.

Do you offer business use insurance?

Our car insurance covers most business use such as:

  • childminding
  • community care
  • self-employment
  • driving between premises for your employer.

Optional business use covers:

  • the policyholder
  • any named drivers.

To add business use to your policy, get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^.

^Call charges

Where do I send my documents for car insurance?

Co-op Insurance, PO Box 67, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, GL17 0ZA.

Please ensure you include your policy number, name, and address.

Can I change my payments part way through my Co-op Car Insurance policy?

No, this is not possible. 

We may be able to change the date the direct debit is taken.

To make a change to an Ecoinsurance policy, visit the online self-service centre.

When will I qualify for protected no claim discount?

You’ll qualify to protect your no claim discount if you’ve:

  • earned five years’ discount or more
  • not made more than one claim in the last three years.

You can pay extra to protect the no claim discount you've earned and the associated discount (but not the cost of the premium) when you renew.

Adding protected no claim discount

You can add protected no claim discount as an option when you buy or renew.

If you make a claim

Your level of discount will be protected, but not necessarily the cost of your premium.

For example:

  • you’ve got a 5 year no claim discount that gives you a 70% discount on your premium, discounted to £300, based on a standard premium of £1,000
  • you make a claim. You’ve protected your no claim discount, so you keep your 5 years and 70% discount
  • the cost of your policy has gone up at renewal, so next year you’ll pay £330, based on a standard premium of £1,100, even though you’ve still got a 5 year no claim discount.

You’ll lose your protection if you make more than two claims in three years.

If you bought your Co-op Car Insurance from a price comparison website, you have our Ecoinsurance, and the protected no claim discount rules are different.

Are modifications allowed?

What we will insure

  • tow bars
  • car alarms
  • parking sensors
  • replacement engines – like for like (cc and type) but only if your engine can’t be repaired
  • changes made to help a disabled driver or passenger, such as wheelchair access
  • LPG conversions made by an approved installer
  • electronic equipment, up to a limit of £500
  • winter tyres.

Any optional extras that were added when the car was made are not considered as modifications.

We will not insure

  • a change of alloy wheels
  • changes made to the wheel size
  • body kits
  • non-standard paint finishes such as pearlescent
  • glass tints added after the car was made
  • engine re-mapping
  • CPU upgrades
  • anything that changes your car's performance.

These are just some of the modifications we will not insure. If you’re not sure if we can insure your car, please get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^ or use our live chat service and we’ll be able to let you know.

^Call charges

Does the policyholder have to be the registered keeper?

No, the registered keeper can be the

  • policyholder
  • policyholder's spouse or civil partner.

Can I get my car insurance documents by email?

No, as e-mail isn't considered a secure form of communication we can only send documents through the post.

Can I add a temporary car to my policy?

You can add a temporary car to your policy for up to 28 days at a time.

You can do this up to 3 times per year, but not for more than 42 days in total.

For example:

  • you add a temporary car for 12 days
  • you later add a temporary car for another 16 days
  • you can still add 1 more temporary car for up to 14 days.

Call us on 03457 46 46 46^ for a quote.

^Call charges

Do I get European cover as standard?

Our car insurance gives cover for driving in the European Union (EU) and associated countries for up to 8 days in any policy year.

If you want to travel within the EU for more than 8 days, you can add extended foreign use to your policy. This allows you to go on multiple trips of up to 90 days each.

To add extended foreign use get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^.

If you’re looking for a new policy please get a quote online and add European Cover as an optional extra.

Got Ecoinsurance?

Ecoinsurance customers get 30 days of European cover as standard and can add additional days by calling 0344 412 2101^.

Got young driver insurance?

You get 8 days of European cover. There is no option to extend this.

^Call charges

What excess will I have to pay if I make a car insurance claim?

The total excess you’ll pay is the standard excess plus any Young or Inexperienced Driver excess, plus any voluntary excess you have on your policy.

If you choose not to have your car repaired by a Co-op approved repairer you'll need to pay an additional excess of £200.

The lowest excess you can have is our standard excess.

For glass-only claims:

  • the excess will be £75 for a replacement, and £15 excess for windscreen repairs.
  • windscreen claims are handled by Auto Windscreens.

For any other claim for loss of or damage to your car the lowest possible excess is £150. However, for damage claims (other than fire or theft) this increases for young, and inexperienced drivers to:

  • £300 if the driver is 25 or over but has held a full licence for less than 12 months
  • £350 if the driver is aged 21-24
  • £450 if the driver is aged under 21.

plus any voluntary excess you have chosen.

If you have an accident that was caused by another driver you may be able to recover your excess (and other costs not covered by your insurance) directly from the other driver.

If you have legal expenses insurance on your Co-op Car Insurance policy, Co-op Legal Services can claim against the other driver on your behalf.

If you’re an existing customer please refer to your policy documents and booklets for details of all excesses which may apply.

What is the car insurance policy excess?

An excess is the amount of money you pay towards a claim on your car insurance, even if you aren't to blame for any loss or damage.

We take the excess out of any payment we make to you, or to the garage who fix your car.

How much you pay depends on which excesses apply.

The lowest excess is the standard excess of £150.

You can add a voluntary excess when you buy your car insurance, and this is added to the standard excess. This can be between £50 and £350, in units of £50.

This might make your car insurance a bit cheaper, but make sure you can afford to pay the excess in case you have to make a claim

There are other excesses that might apply:

  • young driver excess applies to drivers under 25 and is £200 (300 if under 21)
  • inexperienced driver excess applies to drivers over 25 who have had a full driving licence for less than a year and is £150.

You'll be able to see what excesses apply to you in your policy details.

If you’re an existing customer please refer to your policy documents and booklets for details of all excesses which may apply.

Can I claim the excess back if the accident wasn’t my fault?

You may be able to claim your excess back from the person to blame for the loss or damage if you buy optional motor legal expenses cover. We'll take care of the claim for you.

Do I need a Green Card?

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and an agreement with the EU has been reached which means that Green Cards will be required as proof of insurance when driving in the EU and EEA.

You will need to carry a Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law and may not be allowed to drive in the country they are visiting.

Vehicles towing a trailer or caravan will also need a separate Green Card for the trailer or caravan.

  • If you require a Green Card for your vehicle and caravan/trailer please contact us 21 days before you are travelling and we will arrange for one to be sent to you.

In addition to a Green Card, you will need to take your driving licence and V5C log book with you and display a GB sticker on your vehicle.

You may also need an International Driving Permit to drive in some EU/EEA countries.

For more information on driving abroad and any required documentation, please review the following websites:


Can I change the drivers insured on my car insurance policy?

To change the drivers in your policy please get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^.

You can have as many as four extra drivers. The extra drivers’ age and driving record will affect the cost of your premium. 

Third-party cover to drive other cars is not available to the extra drivers.

There's a £15 fee to make the change, in addition to any change in premium.

^Call charges

Can someone else pay for my car insurance?

Yes if the account holder has given their permission, and is present when you pay for your policy.

What do I do if I don't want to renew my car insurance?

Paid monthly?

If you do not want your policy to renew automatically please get in touch on 0345 600 2918^ before your renewal date.

Paid annually?

You don't need to do anything. The policy will expire on its renewal date.

Got Ecoinsurance?

Your policy will renew automatically unless you’ve told us you do not want it to (check your policy details).

Do not worry, we’ll contact you by text and email to remind you of your renewal date, in case you want to cancel.

^Call charges

Do I need to provide proof of my no claim discount?

We may ask for proof of your no claim discount.

This usually comes with your renewal letter from your last insurer.

We’ll accept a letter that shows:

  • how many years no claim discount you have
  • when your last insurance policy finished.

We cannot accept:

  • car insurance certificates
  • insurance quotes
  • statements of facts
  • a proof of no claim discount that’s in use on another insurance policy
  • a proof of no claim discount that’s over three years old.

We’ll include a pre-paid envelope when we send you your insurance policy documents, or you can email a scan or photo of your proof of no claims to [email protected].

Can I add a temporary driver?

You can add a temporary driver to your policy for up to 28 days at a time.

This can be done up to 3 times per year, but should not exceed 42 days in total.

For example, if you added a temporary driver for 12 days in January, and for another 16 days in February, you'd be allowed one more temporary driver on your policy for no longer than 14 days for the rest of the year.

You can find out how much it costs to add a driver by using our online live chat service.

To add a temporary driver please get in touch on 03457 46 46 46^.

There’s a £15 fee to make the change, in addition to any change in premium.

^Call charges