What excess will I have to pay if I make a car insurance claim?
The total excess you’ll pay is the standard excess plus any Young or Inexperienced Driver excess, plus any voluntary excess you have on your policy.
If you choose not to have your car repaired by a Co-op approved repairer you'll need to pay an additional excess of £200.
The lowest excess you can have is our standard excess.
For glass-only claims:
- the excess will be £75 for a replacement, and £15 excess for windscreen repairs.
- windscreen claims are handled by Auto Windscreens.
For any other claim for loss of or damage to your car the lowest possible excess is £150. However, for damage claims (other than fire or theft) this increases for young, and inexperienced drivers to:
- £300 if the driver is 25 or over but has held a full licence for less than 12 months
- £350 if the driver is aged 21-24
- £450 if the driver is aged under 21.
plus any voluntary excess you have chosen.
If you have an accident that was caused by another driver you may be able to recover your excess (and other costs not covered by your insurance) directly from the other driver.
If you have legal expenses insurance on your Co-op Car Insurance policy, Co-op Legal Services can claim against the other driver on your behalf.
If you’re an existing customer please refer to your policy documents and booklets for details of all excesses which may apply.