Travel insurance FAQs

Can I cancel my travel insurance?

There’s a 14 day cooling-off period after you've bought your travel insurance.

If you contact us within this cooling-off period, you’re entitled to a full refund if you have not:

  • travelled,
  • made a claim on the policy.

This does not apply to any single-trip policies that end less than 31 days after you bought them.

Claim your refund

To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to get in touch by:

  • email,
  • sending a letter to Co-op Travel Insurance, Maitland House, Warrior Square, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2JY,
  • calling us on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges

I don't have receipts for my personal items. Can I still make a claim?

We recommend that you keep your receipts for proof in the event of a claim.

If you have not got receipts or other proof of ownership, a 10% deduction applies to items with a value over £100 for:

  • age,
  • wear and tear,
  • loss of value.

To find out more, get in touch with our claims team on:

  • +44 203 362 2450from abroad
  • 0330 400 1505from the UK.

Lines are open 9am - 5pm Mon to Fri.

^Call charges

I've lost my documents. How do I retrieve them?


You can retrieve your documents online. Enter your quote number and email address to access your documents.

By post

If you:

  • would like your documents resent through the post
  • have forgotten your quote number
  • have any other problems accessing your documents online.

Please get in touch on 0330 400 1626^

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges

Where can I use the cashless medical expenses service?

We offer cashless medical expenses in many locations throughout the world.

You don’t have to pay anything beside your policy excess if you need medical treatment whilst you’re on holiday.

Not all travel insurance gives you this reassurance.

When you need medical treatment, call us on +44 203 362 2450^ and we’ll let you know if the service is available where you are.

Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

This service is available in many tourist destinations including the most popular ones such as Spain, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Bulgaria and USA.

^Call charges

How do I change the contact details on my policy?

If you need to, you can change the name of any of the travellers before you go.

We can only change the name of a traveller if their new name is on their passport.

We cannot replace travellers with another person.

To make a change to your name or address, get in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges

I have pre-existing medical conditions. Can I get cover for these on my policy too?

You can tell us about your conditions using our online medical screening system when you get a quote.

If you’d prefer to speak to one of our friendly agents, call us on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
8am - 10pm Mon - Fri
9am - 5.30pm Sat - Sun

^Call charges

I am having trouble paying online. Can you help me?

If you're having trouble paying for your travel insurance online, make sure you check that:

  • you've entered the correct card number,
  • the expiry and/or valid from date is correct,
  • you've entered the correct security code (CVC).

The CVC code is the last three digits shown on the back of your card over the signature strip.

If you're paying with an American Express card, the CVC code is the 4 digit number on the front of the card.

If you're still having problems trying to pay, please get in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
8am - 10pm Mon - Fri
9am - 5.30pm Sat - Sun

^Call charges

What countries do Co-op Travel Insurance policies cover?

Co-op Travel Insurance breaks down policies into the following geographical areas:

Area 1: UK except the Channel Islands*

Area 2: Europe plus**

  • Egypt,
  • Morocco,
  • Tunisia,
  • Russia,
  • Ukraine.

Area 3: Worldwide except***

  • USA,
  • Canada,
  • Mexico,
  • the Caribbean.

Area 4: Australia and New Zealand

Area 5: Worldwide.

If you're unsure which area your trip falls into, get in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

We will not cover trips to places the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advise against visiting. You can check which countries are on this list online.

* For trips within Area 1 there must be at least 25 miles between your home and your booked accommodation.

** Europe - Albania, Andorra, Austria, The Azores, The Balearic Islands, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, The Canary Islands, The Channel Islands, Corsica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Kosovo, Lapland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Sicily, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine and the Vatican City.

Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya are not included in our European policies. You need a Worldwide policy for travel insurance in these countries.

*** Caribbean - Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands (British) and Virgin Islands (US).

Lines are open:
8am - 10pm Mon - Fri
9am - 5.30pm Sat - Sun

^Call charges

What is a personal accident?

A personal accident is one that happens on your trip. If it causes permanent disability within 12 months we'll pay for:

  • your permanent total disability caused by an accident during your trip that:
    • stops you from working in any UK job you’re qualified for,
    • lasts for 12 months,
    • our medical advisor believes isn't going to improve at the end of those 12 months.
  • the permanent loss of use of one or more of your limbs, at or above the wrist or ankle,
  • irrecoverable loss of sight in one or both eyes for a period of at least 12 months.

If you die, we'll pay up to the amount shown below:

Death benefit Bronze Silver Gold Platinum
aged 18 to 65 £5,000 £7,500 £10,000 £25,000
aged under 18 £2,500 £2,500 £2,500 £2,500

We’ll pay you, your executors, or administrators up to the maximum limit as defined by your policy.

What activities are covered with your winter sports travel insurance?

We cover all these activities in our winter sports travel insurance:

  • bobsleighing*,
  • cat skiing,
  • cross country skiing,
  • downhill skiing*,
  • freestyle skiing*,
  • glacier walking or trekking (under 2000m),
  • glacier walking or trekking (over 2000m but under 6000m)*,
  • heli-skiing*,
  • ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*,
  • ice fishing,
  • ice hockey*,
  • luge on snow/ice*,
  • monoskiing,
  • off-piste skiing or snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management),
  • recreational ski or snowboard racing,
  • skeleton bob*,
  • ski acrobatics*,
  • ski bob racing*,
  • ski racing or training (non-professional)*,
  • ski stunting*,
  • ski touring (with a guide),
  • ski or snowboard fun parks*,
  • skiing,
  • snow mobiling*,
  • snowboarding,
  • tobogganing.

Activities marked with* carry an increased medical excess of £250.

Cover under the personal accident and personal liability sections does not apply.

You will not be covered if you take part in ski flying, ski jumping or ski mountaineering.

If you have any further questions, please get in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges

Am I covered for cancellation if I can't travel with my pet after Brexit?

After Brexit, EU pet passports will no longer be valid. You can still travel with your pet, but you'll need to obtain an animal health certificate (AHC) instead.

Information about travelling with a pet after Brexit can be found on the Government website

Make sure that you apply for an AHC in good time - our policies won't cover a cancellation claim due to your pet not having the correct documentation.

Will I still be covered whilst I am driving in Europe?

You'll still be able to drive in the EU after Brexit, but there will be a number of new rules. These will include carrying a Green Card to prove you have car insurance, displaying a GB sticker and, for some countries, obtaining an International Driving Permit (IDP).

You can find more information about the new requirements on the Government website.

No cover is provided under our policies for the cost of these documents, or for the consequences of not obtaining them.

Will I be covered if my flights are delayed due to Brexit?

It would depend on the reason for the delay - our policies cover delayed departure due to strikes or industrial action, poor weather, or mechanical breakdown. Delays due to reasons other than these would not be covered.

If your flight was delayed for more than 24 hours, and the delay was due to one of the reasons listed above, we would consider a claim if you chose to abandon your trip.

What if I incur additional costs for my holiday related to Brexit (e.g. Charges for visas or additional taxes)?

There is no cover under our polices for additional costs due to Brexit, whether charges for visas, extra taxes, or increased costs due to exchange rate changes.

Can I cancel because the pound value has changed and my hotel is now 50% more expensive?

No, sorry. Exchange rates are constantly changing, both up and down, and we don't provide cover for this.

Am I covered if I am not permitted entry to a country as I don’t have a visa?

Our policies do not provide any cover for travellers who don't have a valid visa, so check whether you'll need one and apply in plenty of time.

There's information about travelling to the EU after Brexit, including information about visas, on the Government website.

How is my EHIC card affected?

All EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date (on the front of your card), entitling you to reduced cost or Free State healthcare within the EU countries that you visit.

Your travel insurance will cover you for other medical costs, which are not covered under the EHIC arrangement or alternative reciprocal health agreement, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy. However, for those whose cards have expired, you will not be able to apply for a replacement card.

The Government has introduced a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) that is free to apply for. You should apply at least ten days before you plan to travel to ensure your GHIC arrives on time.

If I am refused entry to an EU country as I don’t have a return ticket, am I covered for any parts of the trip that I have missed?

When arriving in an EU country after Brexit, you may need to show that you have an onward or return ticket. If you're not able to do this, and are denied entry, travel insurance will NOT cover any costs incurred.

More information about travelling to the EU after Brexit can be found on the Government website.

If I am stopped on my outbound journey as I would have overstayed my visa free period during that trip, can I claim for cancellation?

Our policies do not provide any cover for travellers who don't have a valid visa. Check whether you'll need a visa in plenty of time, and arrange for an extension if you're going to be exceeding the visa-free period.

There's information about travelling to the EU after Brexit, including information about visas, on the Government website.

Am I covered for medical costs and will I have to pay upfront? Do I need to notify you?

After Brexit, medical expenses will be covered in Europe just as they are in the rest of the world. You will need to contact our 24hr emergency assistance team before receiving any hospital treatment or incurring costs of £500 or more, otherwise the amount we pay out may be limited.

If my passport doesn't have enough time on it due to the new rules, and I can't get a new one before my trip, can I cancel?

Our policies do not provide any cover for travellers who don't have a valid passport or visa.

You can check whether your passport will be valid for travel on the Government website.

If your passport isn't valid, make sure you apply for a replacement in plenty of time - renewing an adult passport should only take around 3 weeks, but it's best to do it as soon as possible.

If I'm denied entry to an EU country because I can't show I have enough money for my stay, can I claim for my missed holiday and return flight?

When arriving in an EU country after Brexit, you may need to show that you have enough money to cover your stay. If you're not able to do this, and are denied entry, travel insurance will NOT cover any costs incurred.

Find out more about travelling to the EU after Brexit.

If extra checks at the airport mean that I miss my flight or connection, will I be covered?

Unfortunately, our policies do not provide cover for flights or connections missed due to delays at check-in or customs.

When planning your trip, make sure that you allow enough time to get through the airport, and bear in mind that queues may be significantly longer for UK passport holders post-Brexit.

What if I decide not to travel?

If you need to cancel your trip before your departure date, make sure it’s for one of the reasons outlined in the cancellation section of cover.

Our policies don’t cover cancellations because you decide not to travel. If your airline or tour operator cancel your trip, try to claim any money back directly from them or from your credit card, as we’ll only consider eligible costs that you can’t get back from elsewhere.

The underwriter behind the insurance policy is Spanish, will this have any effect on the policy post-Brexit?

MAPFRE ASISTENCIA has been granted temporary permissions to continue to operate within the UK.

This will ensure that the insurer can continue to underwrite insurance in the UK, meaning there will be no disruption to cover.

Are there any exclusions?

There are some exclusions that apply to the cover.

You'll find details in the policy wording booklet.

How are my policy documents delivered?

We can deliver your policy documents by:

  • post (5 to 7 working days),
  • email (5 minutes),
  • text message.

If you need your documents in Braille or other formats please get in touch on 0330 400 1626^

Lines are open:
8am - 10pm Mon - Fri
9am - 5.30pm Sat - Sun

^Call charges

Am I covered for foreseen events?

We cannot cover you against events known about at the time you:

  • booked your holiday,
  • bought your travel insurance.

For example, planned strike action or forecasted weather conditions.

Am I covered for bungee jumping when I go travelling?

Yes, you're covered for up to 3 bungee jumps on all our travel insurance policies.

What country is Lapland in?

Lapland stretches across Finland and Sweden.

You'll need a European travel insurance policy.

Would travel insurance cover travellers if they faced problems, for instance: flights were cancelled, or they ended up missing their hotel check-in?

For customers who already have a policy, or who buy before the consequences of Brexit are clear, their policy will cover them for any claims for travel delay or cancellation of flights in line with their policy terms and conditions. Once the outcomes of Brexit are clear, we’ll update our advice.

What ages do I put down when getting a quote?

Please give us your current age on the day you buy your policy.

It does not matter if you have a birthday afterwards.

Will the terms and conditions of my current policy change when we leave the European Union?

If you already have a policy with us we won’t change the terms and conditions during its lifetime. However, we may need to change the T&Cs of our policies after Brexit. We’ll make sure any changes we make are clear.

Can I get cover if I’m pregnant?

We cover any complication of pregnancy.

This means any:

  • illness,
  • injury,
  • complication.

that could not happen if you were not pregnant.

For example:

  • pre-eclampsia,
  • gestational diabetes.

Cover applies if:

  • you become pregnant after we sold you the policy,
  • you’re more than 32 weeks pregnant (24 for twins or more).

If you make a claim for any medical costs, we’ll ask for confirmation from your doctor that you were fit to travel.

You cannot claim for cancelling your trip if you’re between 33 and 40 weeks pregnant.

For further information, get in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges

Do you cover mountain rescue?

We’ll cover you for mountain rescue if you've :

I have a Global Health Insurance Card. Do I still need travel insurance?

The Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the European Union.

The GHIC may not always provide enough cover.

For example, if you are taken to a private clinic in a private ambulance, the GHIC will not cover you.

The GHIC also does not cover the cost of repatriation if you need to be flown back to the UK due to accident or illness.

For these reasons, it's sensible to take out travel insurance as well.

If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

We will not refuse your claim outright.

The Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 applies if you did not tell us about all your conditions.

This is the law that sets out how we should handle such claims.

We’ll work out how much we would have charged you for the policy if you told us about all your conditions when you bought the policy.

We’ll then settle your claim proportionately.

For example, If you paid £50 for your policy but we would have charged you £100, we’d pay 50% of any claim.

What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

We do not have a maximum age limit.

There are restrictions on the length of time you can travel if:

  • you or anyone named on the policy are aged 66 or over at the date you buy the policy,
  • if you're aged 66 or over, no single trip can last for longer than 31 days on single trip or annual multi trip policies,
  • or if you’re over the age of 90, please get in touch on 0330 400 1626^ for a quote.

Lines are open:
8am - 10pm Mon - Fri
9am - 5.30pm Sat - Sun

^Call charges

Am I covered for white water rafting when I go travelling?

All our travel insurance policies cover grades 1-4 white and black water rafting.

If you'll be doing grade 5 or 6 white or black water rafting you'll need to add hazardous activities cover:

  • when you buy your policy
  • by getting in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

This gives you up to 15 days cover for this activity per year.

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing condition is one that:

  • your GP has diagnosed
  • you take preventative medication (such as statins) for
  • you've seen your GP about in the past 2 years (or 5 years for cancerous conditions).

If you take regular medication or have been to see your GP in the past 2-years, it's likely that we need to know about it.

We don't cover any symptoms that:

  • have not been diagnosed
  • are under investigation.

We don't cover anyone who is:

  • receiving or waiting for medical tests
  • waiting for treatment for any medical condition
  • travelling against the advice of a medical practitioner
  • travelling to get medical treatment abroad.

You must let us know about any pre-existing medical conditions. You can use our quick and easy online medical screening system or get in touch on 0330 400 1626^.

Lines are open:
9am - 5pm Mon - Fri

^Call charges