Do I need to get a European Health Insurance Card before travelling?

All European Union citizens can receive inpatient treatment in state-run hospitals in the EU.

To get treatment you need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You can apply for this before you go by completing an online application form.

If you're admitted to a public hospital, you should present your EHIC to the hospital staff. If you are unable to do so, you must co-operate with the hospital so you can get one.

There's no excess to pay if you show your EHIC when getting treatment in the EU.

Please make every effort to get in touch with us on +44 203 362 2450^ before you have any treatment. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

^Call charges