If you have been affected by a flood then please call our 24/7 number: 0345 999 8888

There has been a flood alert in my area, what should I do?
My house has been flooded, what are my next steps

Affected by a flood?

After the flood: what happens next

Here are the things your insurer will do to help return your home to how it was. We’ve also tried to give an idea of how long things may take, but bear in mind that these are only guidelines – every claim is different.

1. Removing the water

If the water hasn’t flowed out naturally, this is done using pumps.

2. Drying things out

You’ll be given a dehumidifier to properly dry out your home.

3. Stripping out damaged materials

This could be anything from plaster to floorboards. It’s all about making sure your home is still safe.

4. More drying

It can take weeks or even months for a property to fully dry out.

5. Issuing drying certificates

The official confirmation that your home is warm and dry again.

6. Completing reinstatement works

This involves doing plastering, decorating and painting, to help return your home to how it was before. This takes 8-10 weeks on average, but depends on the extent of the repairs involved.

7. Moving back in

This will depend on your circumstances but your insurer’s focus will always be to get you back into a safe, clean, and cosy home as soon as possible.

After the flood: what can I do?

When it comes to doing repair and restorative work after a flood, some customers like to either get involved themselves, or appoint a local contractor to do the work for them. At Co-op Insurance, we’re fairly flexible about this. But there are a few things to bear in mind before you get started.

Completing strip out work

Please remember to:

  • Provide an itemised invoice if you’re using a local contractor.
  • Take photos of any carpets, wooden flooring, and lino flooring before you dispose of them, so they can be replaced later.

Disposing of contents

Please remember to:

  • Make a list of the items you’ve disposed of.
  • Take photos of any damaged items you’re getting rid of – including big ones like sofas.

Installing dehumidifiers

Please remember to:

  • Take meter readings on both installation and removal of the dehumidifier.
  • Keep hold of any invoices for the rental or purchase of the dehumidifier.
  • Open doors and windows to speed up the drying process (if it’s a chilly time of year and the property is being lived in, don’t worry about this stage).
  • Turn the heating on (if it’s safe to do so) to speed up the drying process further.

Appointing private contractors

If you wish, you can ask a trusted private contractor to provide quotations for the following works:

  • Strip out work.
  • Drying work (the contractor would need to provide a drying certificate on completion).
  • Remedial work (including decoration etc.).
  • Resilience work (these are repairs designed to reduce the extent of flood damage in the future, like raising the boiler and sockets up the wall.)

Just make sure all the quotes and subsequent works are invoiced, itemised, and submitted to our loss adjuster (Cunningham Lindsey) for approval.

Organising alternative accommodation

You can check into a hotel, B&B, or source your own longer-term accommodation if you:

  • Check your policy limits with us.
  • Confirm if your property qualifies as ‘uninhabitable’.
  • Provide a quotation (so we can approve the costs).
  • Let us know if you are leaving your property, so we can make emergency payments for your alternative accommodation.

Who’s here to help:

When flooding happens, we like to help appoint the best possible people to help you get through it.

This can mean that lots of different experts are involved in making sure your home is safe, warm and dry again. So we thought it might be useful for you to have a list of the parties who might be involved.

The Emergency Response Contractor

What their job is:

• Being the first team on the scene

• Making your home safe

• Doing an initial clean up

• Protecting your home against further damage.

The Loss Adjuster

What their job is:

• Answering your questions on what’s covered by your insurance

• Organising all the people helping you get back on your feet

• Assessing the damage to contents and giving you expert advice on how to progress your claim

• Making emergency and other payments to you and to any suppliers

The Consultant Surveyor

What their job is:

• Planning the drying and repairs to your home

• Managing the repair process and schedule for you

The Drying and Repair Contractor

What their job is:

• Drying your home so it’s ready to repair

• Repairing any damages