As the nights draw in and we enter the winter months, it’s time to think about ways to protect your home from being burgled.
Whilst there is clearly financial impact of neighbourhood crime, our research also shows that there is a lasting emotional impact on those targeted.
We also found from our claims data that people living in London are the most likely to be a victim of home contents theft. Carlisle and Manchester follow close behind.
When to be on guard
Our claims data has also shown Fridays in November are most popular times for burglars to strike with a 35% increase when the clocks go back. ²
Of those who have been burgled, one if four said it took place during the night.
We have pulled together some top tips to help you protect your home during the winter months:
- Leave a light on when out or invest in a light timer
- Install exterior security lights at the front and back of the property
- If possible, invest in a CCTV system
- Don’t post locations on social media sites
- Ensure doors and windows are locked
- Set burglar alarms
- Ensure outbuildings/sheds are secured
- Don’t leave valuables on display
- Never leave car keys within easy reach of a letterbox
- Don’t leave ladders outside your home
¹ Research conducted on behalf of Co-op Insurance by YouGov among 4,000 UK adults in October 2019
² Claims data analysed from Co-op’s Home Insurance and Motor Insurance products. Data analysed from 2013 to 2018