This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

New vehicle law - don't get caught out

June 2011

A new vehicle law called Continuous Insurance Enforcement is coming into force that means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured.

The only exceptions are:

  • If you have made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) for the vehicle.
  • If your vehicle has been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 – unless it was brought back into use.
  • If your vehicle is recorded as stolen, passed or sold to the motor trade or between registered keepers.
  • If your vehicle is recorded scrapped or permanently exported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA).

What will happen if a vehicle doesn’t have insurance?
From the end of June 2011, Insurance Advisory Letters will be issued by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau to the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles. This will be following a check of the Motor Insurance Database (MID) – the UK’s central record of vehicle insurance. The IAL will advise the registered keeper that their vehicle appears to have no insurance and what actions to take to avoid receiving a fixed penalty from DVLA.

If a vehicle does not have insurance, the registered keeper could:

  • Receive a fixed penalty of £100.
  • Have their vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded, or destroyed.
  • Face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1000.

How to avoid a penalty
Details of all vehicle insured with The Co-operative Insurance are put onto the Motor Insurance Database. Check that your vehicle is the Motor Insurance Database.

If your details aren’t correct, or not on the database you should contact our UK based customer services immediately.

Find out more about the new vehicle insurance law.