What journeys you can do
|Everyday driving (social, domestic and pleasure)||
|Driving practice on a provisional licence||
|Going to work (commuting)||
|Using your car at work (business use). Some restrictions apply||
Add optional extras to your young driver policy
You can buy extra cover when you buy your policy.
- UK breakdown cover
- motor legal expenses insurance
Get a discount
We have some discounts that can help reduce the cost of your young driver policy:
- no claim discount
- named driver discount
- smartphone driving app discount
How to pay
You can pay by direct debit over 12 months, or in 1 upfront annual payment with a credit or debit card.
If you pay by direct debit:
- there’s a charge for credit of 20.9% APR (typical)
- you need to pay a deposit of 2 months’ premium
- you must be 18 years old or older
You can drive your car straight away once your policy starts. You need to make sure you book your black box fitting within 14 days.
You do not need to wait for the black box to be fitted to your car.
We recommend that you visit your driving dashboard as soon as you can.
We may ask you to upload a copy of proof of any no claim discount you’re claiming. If we do, you need to do this within 14 days of your policy start date.
Black box fitting
Arrange a time
An engineer will come out and fit your black box.
You choose when and where when you buy your policy.
On the day the engineer will:
- fit the black box in your car
- ask you to sign the Wunelli data agreement
Need to change the date or time?
Just let us know at least 24 hours before the engineer is due to visit. To do this, get in touch on 0333 009 6702^.
Useful things to know…
- the black box can track your car if it’s stolen
- there’s no fee for the black box fitting
- there’s a £45 fee if you miss the appointment
Check your driving score
You can keep track of your driving score on your driving dashboard.
It will help you to know which parts of your driving need to improve.
You'll find help about how to improve your score there too.
We calculate your score using data from the black box.
Download sample policies for our young driver black box insurance
If you renew with us at the end of your second young driver policy year you may be able to:
- graduate to our box-free policy
- stay on our black box policy
Because we’ve got two years of your driving data we can give you:
- an exclusive price based on your safe driving score
- at least 2 years’ no claim discount if you have not made a claim
Make a car insurance claim
Make a car insurance claim by calling us on 0345 999 8888^.
Let us know:
- your name, address and policy number
- if any damage was caused or any property was lost
- if anyone was injured
- where and when the incident happened
- the other vehicle’s registration number
- the other driver’s, name, address, telephone number and insurance details
We need a Police crime reference number if:
- your car has been stolen
- your car has been damaged maliciously
- the other driver did not stop and give their details
Windscreen and glass claims
Use the Auto Windscreens website if your windscreen or window glass is damaged.
Auto Windscreens will take care of your claim. You can arrange a time online for the repairer to come.
There’s an excess of £75 for a replacement, and £15 for windscreen repairs.
A windscreen or window glass claim will not affect your no claim discount.