An excess is the amount of money you pay towards a claim, regardless of who is to blame for the incident. The excess will apply to vehicle repairs following a fire, theft or an accident and must be paid to the repairing garage. If the vehicle is considered a total loss or is stolen and unrecovered, the excess will be deducted from the final settlement.

If the accident is not your fault and you have purchased legal expenses cover (in association with Co-op Legal Services Limited), you may be able to claim this money back using our uninsured loss recovery service.

How much you pay depends on whether the standard excess only applies or you have chosen to pay a voluntary excess. For further details on the different kinds of excess, see below. You will need to look at which excesses apply to your particular circumstances before you consider whether a voluntary excess is appropriate

Types of excess

Standard excess

The standard excess is £100. You’ll have to pay this for every claim unless it’s to replace a windscreen or window – then the excess is £50. If the windscreen or window can be repaired, rather than replaced, you won’t have to pay an excess.

Young driver excess

The young driver excess, as specified in the table below, applies where the driver or person in charge is aged under 25 years. This excess is paid in addition to the standard excess, inexperienced driver excess and any voluntary excess which you may have chosen to pay.

Table detailing excess values
Age Young driver excess
under 21 years £300
21 - 24 years £200

The young driver excess does not apply to claims for fire or theft or for damage to the windscreen or windows only.

Inexperienced driver excess

If you or the person in charge has held their licence for under 3 months, there will be an excess if they:

Table detailing excess values for inexperienced drivers
Were driving between 11pm and 6am on any day* £500
Were driving with more than one passenger under the age of 30* £500

* NOTE: only one of these excesses will apply

Additionally, an inexperienced driver excess of £150 will also apply where the driver is aged 25 or over but has held a full driving licence for less than 12 months. This is in addition to the standard excess and any voluntary excess.

Voluntary excess

We can cut your premium if you choose to pay £50, £100, £150, £200, £250, £300 or £350 on top of the standard excess of £100 and, if they apply to you, the young driver or inexperienced driver excesses. You won’t have to pay the extra voluntary amount for claims for fire or theft, or for damage just to the windscreen or windows.

Should you choose to pay a higher excess, please be sure you won’t struggle to pay it if you have to make a claim.