Our policy covers:
- up to £100,000 cover for legal fees to help recover uninsured losses
- access to a 24 hour legal helpline which can provide advice on any motoring related issues such as disputes with garages, parking fines and vehicle ownership responsibilities
- the cover applies to anyone allowed to drive by your current motor certificate.
Co-op Legal Services manage all claims under this section. They will only accept a claim if there is a reasonable chance of making a recovery.
Legal costs incurred before we have confirmed acceptance of the claim in writing will not be covered.
Please note: If you cancel this cover within 14 days of receipt of your policy documents, you will be entitled to a refund of any premium paid, less a charge for the number of days cover has been provided. If you cancel this cover after this time a return of premium will be provided, less a charge for the number of days cover provided and an administration fee of £15.
Do I need this cover?
Co-op Car Insurance customers have roughly a 10% chance of being involved in an accident* in any one year.
We did some research in 2014 about people who bought the Legal Expenses cover. Here’s what we found:
- 50% of the people involved in an accident weren’t to blame or shared the blame. This means they could claim on the Legal Expenses policy.
Following their accidents, this is what happened to the people who claimed:
- 29% had a personal injury claim and were paid an average of £2,699
- at least 40% had other uninsured losses (like having to pay their policy excess), and were paid an average of £223 each.
*based on CISGIL claims statistics 2008–2014